Aceitunas Escamilla has been dedicated to the production, dressing and packaging of manzanilla olives Sevillian since 1950. Both manzanilla sevillana and gordal sevillana together make up the majority of olive production in the province of Seville.
Do you know the benefits of manzanilla olives? Here we tell you about them:
WHAT ARE ITS BENEFITS?
There are undoubtedly many reasons to choose the Sevillian manzanilla olive as a main appetizer:
- It is a very nutritious food, due to its high levels of minerals such as sodium, potassium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus….
- They are a very important source of calcium and they are also antioxidants because they contain vitamin A, B, C and E.
- They contain oleic acid, which protects the heart and prevents the onset of cardiovascular diseases.
- They help you take care of your immune system and boost your defences.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE MANZANILLA SEVILLANA OLIVE TREE
The manzanilla olive tree stands out for its good characteristics for table olives. It withstands well the caustic soda sweetening process.
- The productivity in the variety of olive tree manzanilla is of high production.
- Flowering: this olive tree has a medium flowering period. The pollen is of very good quality. In Spain it is not necessary to use pollinators.
- Leaves: Its leaves are elliptical in shape and medium size.
These olives are obtained from the fruit of the olive tree, harvested during the ripening cycle, before veraison and when they have reached a normal size that facilitates their harvesting. Manzanilla olives from Seville are normally seasoned in brine by natural lactic fermentation. The highest quality of this speciality is found in the province of Seville because of the way they are harvested.
The traditional system known as milking means that the fruit does not suffer any damage. It avoids transport to distant areas and the short time it takes for the fruit to be harvested.
SABRÍAS REALMENTECAN YOU REALLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MANZANILLA SEVILLANA OLIVE AND ANOTHER VARIETY?
Manzanilla Sevilla olives are characterised by their straw yellow colour. Its texture is firm and smooth, which means that it is not as soft in the mouth as other olives.
The IOC (International Olive Council) praises the excellent qualities of these olives. Its good size and shape stand out, together with the harmonious relationship between flesh and stone. It has a notable proportion of flesh to stone, which means that the stone is not too close, and also that it separates easily. Its oil content is moderate without acquiring prominence as is the case with the verdial. All these characteristics make the Manzanilla olive the favourite of many consumers.